Dr. Lord is a scholarship sponsor for the University of Tennessee Lady Vols Athletics, along with Virginia Tech University and others. The Steinway Music Suite at Pellissippi State Community College is named after her. Most recently, she is sponsor of the 40th Anniversary Season Gala of the Knoxville Opera.
Her philanthropic interests include academic and athletic scholarships, music education, and music performance.
Dr. Lord provided the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra Showhouse in 2015. The Knoxville Symphony League is a membership-driven guild of volunteers that has benefited the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra through a variety of fundraisers since 1952. The ShowHouse is one of the league’s biggest annual events and funds KSO programs that provide cultural and educational outreach in the community.
She has funded athletic and academic scholarships and facilities for numerous schools, including:
- Athletic Scholarships WVU Tech Lady Bears
- The University of Tennessee Lady Vols Locker Room
- The Lady Vols Student Athletic Volleyball Scholarship (Dr. Sharon B. Lord Women’s Athletic Leadership Scholarship).
- Virginia Tech football.
- Virginia Tech Creative Arts Scholarship
- Support for Marshall University Simon Perry Center For Constitutional Democracy
- Support for Marshall University Black Cultural Center
She has also contributed to a variety of organizations including:
- Front Page Follies Foundation (which provides scholarships for journalism students)
- The Knoxville Opera, supporting entire Opera season (2016-17), the 40th Anniversary Gala (2017-18), and the Knoxville Opera croquet tournament (2015).
- Random Acts of Flowers since its inception (Random Acts of Flowers’ mission is to bring moments of kindness in the form of a beautiful floral bouquet. Our recipients’ joy is enough to justify our work, but these deliveries have also been clinically proven to have a positive effect on health and well-being.)
- UT Music School
- United Way of Sevier County
- Child Help Knoxville
- Childhelp Children’s Center of East Tennessee
- Safe Harbor Child Advocacy Center
Dr. Lord was co-founder of the Knoxville Rape Crisis Center in 1973.